This post brought to you by Sponsored by Purina. The content and opinions expressed below are that of Sweet Pennies From Heaven.
So, you just got a new puppy and you’re working your way through the late night crying, puppy breath, pee and poo! Or do you have an older dog that just needs some extra care, love and attention? Either way, you may be asking yourself, “What does my dog need?“. Dogs are work, but they’re SO rewarding. I’ve got a list of some dog essentials that every new and seasoned dog owner has to have!
We shop at Dollar General a lot because it’s just more convenient and much more affordable. I don’t have to walk a mile through the parking lot or wait in ginormous lines to checkout. Plus, I can get all our pet related stuff there too, like Dollar General Alpo Products! I can get everything on my list and I don’t get super distracted by everything I don’t need. They carry awesome pet brands like Purina (dry food/wet food/treats) for both dogs and cats. They also have a great selection of dog toys and other things. The biggest reason I love them is because I can use their coupons! Okayyyy, before I get to the list of essentials – let me tell you about this fun contest!
Do you Instagram?
#DGPetDash Instagram Contest:
Get this ya’ll! If you’re a pet owner, you can enter the #DGPetDash contest on Instagram!!! Each participant will be asked to fill (1) Dollar General shopping bag with pet items from DG and upload the picture of your haul to Instagram. Make sure that you use the hashtag #DGPetDash in your post! The photo with the most likes will receive $100 worth of free pet food/treats from Purina (in the form of (5) $20 Purina manufacturer coupons).
— Alright….now on to those doggie essentials!
List of 7 Things Every Dog Needs
1. Squeezes, Smooches & Belly Rubs: Love those babies up! Dogs love hugs, kisses and good belly rubs! My dogs are both attention hogs. They love to be loved.
2. Healthy Food and Vitamins: Make sure that you’re feeding your dogs a healthy dog food, like Purina and pay attention to how it makes them feel. Some dogs need a special diet…others could eat an army tank and it wouldn’t bother their bellies! You can also give your sweet hearts vitamins if they’re picky eaters!
3. Yummy Nummy Treats: Give them a treat through the day! Even if they can’t do tricks – give them a treat just for being cute! Treats are a great reward for doing something right too whether it’s house breaking them or for coming when you call them. Purina makes ex
cellent treats. Our dogs love the Beggin Strips!
4. Toys, Toys and More Toys: I think our dogs have more toys than our kid does. Ropes, squeaky toys, toys with bells, balls, and even an occasional old shoe. Ugh. Yeah. They like shoes!
5. Control the critters: Keep your dogs treated for fleas, ticks and worms. I know, I knowww….gross! But we all have to deal with it when we have dogs! Whether you choose a drop on medication, flea collar or something natural – just make sure you’re treating them so they don’t get sick. Fleas and ticks SUCK – literally!
6. Doctor Visits and Clean Toofers: Yep! Make sure to always keep your dogs up to date on checkups and shots. Having a sick pet is no fun. One thing our vet always talks about is keeping their teeth clean. A dog with bag teeth means poor health. Just keep their teeth clean with a toothbrush or make sure to give them treats that help clean their teeth.
7. Outer Space: Okay, not that kind of outer space….but space outside to RUN and play! If you don’t have a fenced in area – then put up a lead that’s long enough for them to have plenty of space to run and play. My dogs love to be outside…especially right after a bath. They love to roll around in the grass and dirt when they get bathed. Ugh. Hahaha!
Here’s our haul of pet goodies from Dollar General.
- Purina Beggin Strips (their fave!)
- 3 soft dog toys
- rope toy
- tennis ball
- rubber star shaped chewie
Here are some of the Purina Dog Treats and Foods you can find at Dollar General:
Cat Chow, Kitten Chow, Kit & Kaboodle, Friskies, Deli Cat, Fancy Feast, Dog Chow, Puppy Chow, Moist & Meaty, Beneful, Alpo, Mighty Dog, Beggin Strips, Busy Bone, Friskies Party Mix, Waggin Train, Whisker Lickins, Tidy Cats