This post brought to you by The Duck Brand. The content and opinions expressed below are that of Sweet Pennies From Heaven.
Over 7 Places You Forgot to Clean when Spring Cleaning!
Are you getting ready to start spring cleaning, or have you already started?
There are over 7 places that we forget to spring clean each and every year! Some of these should really even be cleaned more often.
1. Inside Kitchen and Bathroom Drawers and Cabinets We’re in and out of our drawers and cabinets every single day – yet we NEVER clean inside of them.
- Work one cabinet or drawer at a time.
- Wipe the inside down with hot, soapy water and let air dry.
- Lay down new shelf liner paper.
We just recently redid the outside of our kitchen cabinets and I had yet to add shelf liner paper to the inside of my cabinets. While spring cleaning, it’s the perfect time!
I’m using the new Easy Liner® with Clorox® shelf liners by Duck® brand. I wanted to try these because they have Clorox® antimicrobial protection. Since we live in an old farmhouse, I really like the idea of keeping my cabinets and drawers from growing stinky mold and mildew.
This new Clorox® antimicrobial protection just has an additive embedded into the material that doesn’t degrade over time, even after washing it!! You can use it everywhere in the home, even the fridge (however, it’s not suggested for direct contact with food).
3 Reasons I really wanted to try it:
- It’s Bleach-Free (Clorox® trusted, but without actual bleach!)
- It’s MACHINE WASHABLE (say, what?!)!!!
- it’s easy to cut, place, and reposition without a hassle
- it’s water resistant (great for dishes that aren’t 100% dry when put away!)
They have a few different varieties that you can choose from: Solid, Super Grip, Smooth Top, and Select.
Here’s my finished product! Woohoo! It looks SO much better!!
Next up on the list of forgotten places to clean when spring cleaning:
2. Ceiling Light Shades/Globes These get so dusty, and we don’t really even notice till they’re super gross! You can stick most glass or plastic shades and globes inside your dishwasher to wash easily!
3. Under/Behind/On top of Large Appliances:
- Refrigerator (don’t forget the top)
- Stove (don’t forget to clean under the range hood too!)
4. Under/Behind/On top of Small Appliances:
- Coffee Pot
5. Under and Behind Furniture Have you SEEN the size of the dust bunnies under your furniture? Pull furniture away from walls and vacuum/mop floors and clean the walls with soapy water. Let dry before moving furniture back. Don’t forget to give your furniture a good vacuum and wipe down too!
6. Pillows/Mattresses To clean mattresses, some people like to take them outside and let the wind and sunshine do their natural work to clean them. If you can’t get your mattresses outside, you can do a few things:
- Sprinkle with baking soda
- Spray a mixture of 50:50 vinegar/water on mattress, till just damp. Let air dry for a few hours.
- You can opt to use a mattress cover that keeps dust mites and bacteria out. You can also get these for your pillows!
7. Closets (clean and organize): I don’t know about you, but about once a year my closet needs an overhaul. I like to get rid of clothes that I haven’t worn in months, and just re-organize it. If you need organization tips and help, I wrote this post on closet organization and storage solutions for small closets.
8. Garbage Cans Yuck! Naturally garbage cans are the nastiest. This is one job that should be done more often, but it’s an easy job to forget! Cleaning garbage cans is pretty simple. Just use hot soapy water to wash down the inside and outside of the garbage cans, using a cleaning rag. Afterwards, spray the inside with an antibacterial cleaning spray, or even vinegar before putting in a new trash bag.
Are there other places that you forgot to clean when doing your spring cleaning? We want to know, so I can add to this list! Drop us a comment!!