This is Week 3 of our Prepare for the Holidays 5 Week Series & Challenge! If you’ve missed the other posts, check them out below to get “in the loop” and hop aboard if you’d like to get prepared early as well.
- Prepare for the Holidays – Week 1 (Cleaning Indoors and tackling Hotspots)
- Prepare for the Holidays – Week 2 (Cleaning outdoors)
- Prepare for the Holidays – Week 3 (Organizing the kitchen cabinets and inventory)
- Prepare for the Holidays – Week 4 (Dinner List and Inventory)
- Prepare for the Holidays – Week 5 (Last minute checklist and turkey thawing times)
Last week was dedicated to cleaning up outdoors in preparation for Holiday company. This week, I want to concentrate on Organizing our Kitchens. That is where all of our time is spent preparing Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, afterall. Nothing is worse than trying to get dinner ready and you can’t find your hand mixer, or the biggest mixing bowl. If you’re like me, you can’t find it because you loaned it out or it’s shoved way back at the back of that black hole of a corner cabinet!
So, let’s go through our cabinets to make sure we have everything we need and GET RID of everything that we don’t ever use!! Go grab your mixing bowls from your sister, your roaster pan from your aunt, and your measuring spoons….oh dear, where did those go??? Mine could be out in the back yard for all I know! You know…kids and sand boxes or dirt piles!
Here is a list of the most used items needed for preparation of Thanksgiving or Christmas Dinner. Some recipes call for special utensils. Just make sure that you have those when you’re ready to make that recipe.
- Stand mixer or hand mixer
- Mixer beaters/paddles (gotta have those!)
- Knives (paring, butcher, etc.)
- Vegetable peeler
- Potato Masher (if you mash by hand)
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring Cups
- Cheese Grater (if you grate your own cheese, etc.)
- Cutting Boards
- Meat Thermometer
- Candy Thermometer
- Turkey Baster
- Roasting Pan (large enough for your turkey)
- 2nd Roasting Pan (if you’re also fixing ham)
- Small, Medium, and Large Mixing Bowls
- Small, Medium, and Large Pots (large enough for mashed potatoes)
- Various sizes of frying pans
- Various sizes of Casserole Dishes
- Various sizes of Baking Pans (for cakes, brownies, etc.)
- Various sizes of Serving Bowls
- Serving Spoons for each dish you plan to make
- Aluminum Foil, Plastic Wrap, Wax Paper
- Plenty of dish liquid for after dinner ;)!
Now for this week’s assignements:
- Make sure you have all of these items + extra items that special recipes call for.
- Gather 1 box or trashbag of unused kitchen items that you don’t use and donate to Goodwill or family in need.
- Gather any or all kitchen/utensil items that family/friends have borrowed so you don’t have to hunt them down later.
- After you’ve boxed or bagged up your unused kitchen items to donate, re-organize your cabinets with the things listed above so that you’ll easily find them when Thanksgiving Eve approaches.
- Last but not least, spend 10 minutes on each Hotspot from Week 1. If it’s nice weather in your neck of the woods spend some time outdoor cleaning from Week 2.
- As always, come over and comment below this post here and let us know how you’re doing on your assignments! I’d love to hear your progress!