Has this just not been the worst winter ever?! Okay, I’m sure it hasn’t really been THE worst, but it sure feels like it. One snowstorm after another and bitter cold temps. We live in a rural area and my daddy is always preaching to others about keeping an emergency winter survival kit in our vehicles. He don’t fool around!
We have a van and an older SUV, but we’d love to have a new truck. They’re so much easier to drive on snow and ice, and would just be more convenient for us overall. Still, regardless of what kind of vehicle you have – it’s better to be safe than sorry. You just never know when you might get stranded in below freezing or negative temps. Or how long you’ll have to wait on help!
Winter Emergency Survival Kit for Your Cars!
I’m agreeing with my daddy – everyone needs an emergency winter survival kit in their cars and below are some things to include. If you think of other items that should be included, please leave us a comment and let us know! I can add things to this list. I just want to make sure that you’re prepared in case you DO get stranded!
Tips: Make sure that you have plenty of gas at all times. Don’t let your tank run low! Also, if you’re stranded – stay inside your car unless there are houses or businesses really close by.
- bottled water
- packaged food (protein bars, nuts, etc.)
- package of body and hand warmers (these work well inside gloves and shoes)
- jumper cables
- small shovel and windshield scraper
- kitty litter
- battery operated weather radio
- extra clothes (including socks/insulated shoes)
- thick jacket and hat, gloves, ear muffs
- extra cellphone charger (or battery backup)
If you usually travel with babies or small kids, then you will want to include these extras:
- extra food and water
- extra clothing and blankets
- dry formula you can mix with water
- infant or children’s Tylenol
- toy or game that can keep them occupied
Keep your winter emergency kit in the trunk of your car or in the backseat through the winter months. If you can think of anything else that should be added to this list, please let us know!!