Here’s the Onion Bombs recipe, just like I promised…
NOTE: This recipe serves about 3 people. Double or triple the recipe, as needed to prepare for a larger crowd.
- 1 large onion
- 1 lb. ground beef, turkey, or pork
- 1/2 clove of garlic, finely chopped (or use minced garlic, about a teaspoon)
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup crushed saltine crackers
- 1 slice of bread torn into small pieces
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese (any kind)
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional – meatloaf seasoning packet
- Cut the onion in half, from top to bottom right down the center…not sideways.
- Take each layer of the onion, and pair them together making sure to match each side with it’s mate. Be careful when pulling layers apart because they can tear easily.
- Add ground meat to a mixing bowl, then add all the other ingredients.
- Mix it all with your hands, just like you would with meatloaf. You want about the same texture as meatloaf as well. If it’s too dry, add a bit more ketchup or a splash of milk. If it feels too wet, add a little more crushed crackers.
HOW TO ASSEMBLE ONION BOMBS
- Start with the largest pair of onion halves.
- Make a large meatball and place it in one side of the onion half and place the other onion half over the top, basically squishing the meatball between the 2 onion halves.
- Continue to fill the rest of the onion halves up with the meat mixture.
- Wrap each onion bomb in aluminum foil, leaving enough room so that you can leave a little twist at the top so you can easily pick them up off the grill.
- Slap these babies on the grill and cook for about 8-10 minutes. Flip them over on their opposite side and cook an additional 8-10 minutes.
1. Grilling times will vary based on how high you have your grill set.
2. You can also bake them in the oven if you don’t have a grill. Bake around 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, checking often, until cooked through.
3. Keep a fork handy and check the biggest onion bomb occasionally so you don’t burn them. Once the meat is cooked through, take off the grill and serve!! The meat was super juicy and the onions were crazy sweet and cooked to perfection.
(Recipe adapted from Eating in Neverland.)
BEFORE YOU GO…
Don’t forget your FREE reusable menu planner for your fridge!! Click below and I’ll send it to you INSTANTLY!