Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Boogie Wipes. All snotty and boogery opinions are 100% my own.
Our Best Cold and Flu Tips for Kids
Allergies are already running a’muck in our house, and have been for 2 months or longer! With cooler weather, cold and flu season is creeping in, and that’s NO fun!
Our Moms Check In moms are talking all about our best tips for fighting the cold and flu and how to help make it a little easier on the whole family. We’d love to hear your tips too! Drop us a comment below or chat with us on social media using the hashtag #MomsCheckIn and #SolutiontoSnotty!
We’re also having a #SolutiontoSnotty Twitter party this Thursday night, Oct. 22nd. If you’d like to attend, the linky to RSVP is towards the bottom of this post.
Tips for fighting off cold/cough/flu…
– Eating a fairly balanced diet with lots of fruits and veggies. Even if you have to hide them in their favorite foods, getting these vitamins and nutrients are important in keeping their immune systems up.
– Drink plenty of room temperature water, hot tea with honey and lemon, and hot chicken broth. Did you know that cold water and iced drinks can cause mucus to thicken. So can milk and other dairy products.
– Keep a humidifier and/or essential oil diffuser going. Turning on the furnace makes the house nice and toasty, but it also dries out the air. Put some moisture back into the air. It’s good for your sinuses.
– Take daily multi-vitamins and extra Vit. C. Flintstones, gummies, vitamin powder pouches for bottled water…anyway your kiddo will take them.
– For a croupy cough – sit in the bathroom with the shower running hot water. Breathe in the steam for 15-20 minutes.
– If your child can tolerate it, I suggest using a nasal rinse or irrigation. Whether a neti pot or a bottle with the bulb on it. If they’re too young or can’t tolerate it, a simple saline nasal spray is also great.
– Sleep with their head propped up. This helps them to breathe better and keeps post-nasal drip from causing irritation.
– Massage the face and/or apply pressure using your fingers to the sinus cavity areas. That helps move mucus and sinus pressure out of the area.
– Steer clear of dairy products. Dairy can make mucus thicker, and we don’t want that.
Ok! Here are more tips from our moms…
“I’m a big advocate for vitamin C! Breakfast always starts with a big glass of orange juice in our house. At the first sign of a cold we are sure to have an extra vitamin. And speaking of extra…extra hand washing is always a big plus!”
– Amanda is the mom to Joshua and owns It’s a Fabulous Life. If you are looking for a one stop place for all things mom, It’s a Fabulous Life is it! Full of recipes, fashion, DIY projects, recipes and parenting articles it’s the place for all of Mom’s favorites to come together! Follow her on Twitter here!
“I’m uber aware of germs this time of year as the weather starts to change. To help avoid any in our house, I make sure we’re eating healthy and drinking plenty of water to help boost our immune system. We also do a lot of hand washing. If we do get the sniffles, I love using Boogie Wipes to stay gentle on skin while tackling the snotties.”
– Stephanie is the mom to Sam and the author of Spaceships and Laser Beams. If you ever need party ideas her site is the place to visit! Specializing in all things boy, it’s full of inspiration! Follow her on Twitter here!
“We struggle so much with allergies this time of year, and of course with the kids back in school – germs are everywhere. Keeping antibacterial cleaners around always help. Spraying door knobs, cabinets and refrigerator handles, and anything else that gets touched alot. We also run a humidifier to keep moisture in the air in the winter months. The kiddo HATES it when I use tissue, toilet paper or paper towels on his runny nose time and time again. They’re just too rough. Boogie Wipes are a life-saver for us!”
– Jenni is the mom of one and the author of Sweet Pennies From Heaven. A hearth and home website, Sweet Pennies From Heaven focuses on recipes, crafts and creating a comfortable home. Follow her on Twitter here!
Boogie Wipes to the rescue!
With the germy and snotty season upon us, Boogie Wipes comes to the comforting rescue! When you’re wiping noses 20 or more times a day – nothing is better than a Boogie Wipe because they’re made to be super gentle on little noses.
Boogie Wipes are gentle and natural saline wipes that dissolve boogies caused by the common cold or allergies. They’re developed by moms just like you and I. Moms that are tired of chasing down runny noses. They’re extra soft, hypoallergenic, phthalate and paraben free AND alcohol free. No more sore noses! In addition to our awesome Twitter party coming up Thursday, they’re ALSO having a Boogie Wipes Giveaway!! You can enter to win a year’s supply of Boogie Wipes! Clean noses for everyone! Click HERE to enter!!
#SolutiontoSnotty Twitter Party
We’re going to be talking about cough/cold tips this week during a one-hour Twitter party on Thursday, October 22nd from 8:30-9:30pm EST. You’re invited to attend. Make sure to RSVP below to be eligible to win! The prizes will include lots of Boogie Wipes swag + $400 in gift cards ($200 grand prize plus (4) $50 gift card prizes)!
Before you RSVP, make sure to follow your #SolutiontoSnotty hosts and sponsor below:
What is Moms Check In?
Who are the moms of Moms Check In? We’re 3 moms who are also professional bloggers. We chat about a new topic each week. We talk about things from dirty diapers to date night, and everything in between. Moms love to talk to other moms and let’s face it…MOMS know everything!!
Before you leave, let us know…
What are your best cough/cold/flu tips for kiddos?